Barebones bitcoin-like protocol implemented in Python 3.6
|size (curr.)||57 kB|
Misocoin is a barebones bitcoin-like protocol implemented in Python 3.x. It was written as a challenge for myself to see if I could implement a bitcoin clone from scratch.
This project doesn’t follow the full bitcoin-protocol, but rather implements a barebones version that (with enough nodes) can still act as a trust-less third party for storing and ensuring the integrity of arbitrary data.
WARNING: Misocoin is not production ready and should only be used as an educational tool.
- Make sure you’re in a Python 3.x environment. I recommend using miniconda
git clone email@example.com:kendricktan/misocoin.git
cd misocoin && pip install -r requirements.txt
- To start the misocoin daemon, run
# To start it on localhost:4000 with a random private key ./misocoind.py ** [Welcome] Your misocoin address is 610d2657b8c4df8da493bbe0671e7406d2bee7a6 * Running on http://localhost:4000/ (Press CTRL+C to quit) # To start it on localhost:4001 with a specific private key # ./misocoind.py -host=localhost -port=4001 -priv_key=60c8cb60c21143fffdd682f399ef3baa4b67c56a1f83a274284cfe7c57e007ed
- Once you have the daemon running, you can interact with the daemon it via the API
./misocoin-cli.py get_info ./misocoin-cli.py get_block <block_number> ./misocoin-cli.py get_balance ./misocoin-cli.py send_misocoin <to_address> <amount> # To specify which host and port the daemon is located at # ./misocoin-cli.py -host=<localhost> -port=<4000> [methods [args..]]
- To connect misocoin with other nodes, try running
./misocoind.py -nodes=host1:port1,host2:port2. E.g:
- Terminal 1:
- Terminal 2:
./misocoind.py -port=4002 -nodes=localhost:4001
What’s in misocoin
- Dynamic difficulty (based on network hashing power)
- Automatically prunes chain in favor of a longer chain
- Persistent storage for blockchain (currently all in memory)
- Separate out tx and block logic to fit in a set amount of txs in a block
- Nicer exception handling
- Enforce functional paradigm
- Who’s miso?
Miso is my cat. You can find out about him more on his instagram page.
- Why did you make this?
I made it to understand more about bitcoin. Jks. I made it for Miso’s birthday (15 December). I love my cat.
- Can I have a picture of your cat in a taco outfit?